Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat Palace
The palace court with its grand and elegant Javanese architecture
lies in the centre of the city. It was founded Prince Mangkubumi
in 1755. The Prince was then called Sri Sultan Hamengku Buwono I.
He chose the right location of the compound between the Winongo
River and the Code River.
The palace streches out from north to south.
The front yard is called Alun-alun Utara (the North Square), and
the back yard is called Alun-alun Selatan (the South Square).
The lay out of the buildings shows that the Palace, the commemorative
column and Mount Merapi lie in on line.
The palace meeting hall is called the Pagelaran, where formal meetings
of palace officials are held, while the "Manguntur Tangkil"
hall is the place where the Sultan is seated.
The palace visitors can enjoy the atmosphere of the kraton in formertimes
by visiting the lifesize diorama of wedding ceremonies on the palace
meeting, performed by puppets which are intentionally arranged to
create such an atmosphere. Sets of javanese musical instruments,
antiques and heirlooms have made the palace of Yogyakarta.
Built in 1758 by Sultan Hamengku Buwono I just West of the kraton,
part of this pleasure garden and castle is at present no more than
an intriguing collection of ruins, pools, arches and underground
passages enclosed by massive walls, however, the central courtyard
with the nymph-baths has been restored.
The water Castle is located in the older part of the city within
walking distance from the Bird Market. A number of batik work shops
line the avenue leading to the pleasure garden's entrance.
Imogiri is the official cemetery of the royal descendants from
Yogyakarta and Surakarta. The royal graveyard is located on a hilltop,
reachable by 345 stone steps leading to it.
Imogiri is about 17 kms southeast of Yogyakarta and easily accessible
by the bus or car. The tombs are built within three main courtyards.
Entry into the smaller courtyards housing the tombs of the princes
is allowed, but only on Monday 09.00 - 12.00 and Friday 13.00- 16.00
traditional Javanese dress has to be worn, which however can be
hired on the spot at a modest fee. The cemetery is closed during
the Moslem month of Ramadhan.
This magnificent Shivaite temple derives it name from the village
where it is located. Locally known as the LoroJongrang Temple, or
the Temple of the "Slender Virgin", it is the biggest
and most beautiful Hindu temple in Indonesia.
Seventeen kilometres east of Yogyakarta, it is believed to have
been built by King Balitung Maha Sambu in the middle of the ninth
century. Its parapets are adorned with a bas-relief depicting the
famous Ramayana story.
The first open-air theatre on the southern side of the temple was
build in 1960 and the new theatre on the western side of the temple
was built in 1988. During full moon evenings in the mounths from
May to October, the Ramayana ballet is performed here. The temple
complex of Prambanan lies among green fields and villages. It has
eight shrines, of which the three main ones are dedicated to Shiva,
Visnhu and Brahma.
The main temple of Shiva rises to a height of 130 feet and houses
the magnificant statue of Shiva's consort, Durga.
This unique Buddhist temple is located some 16 km. east of Yogyakarta,
on the south side of the main road between Yogyakarta and Solo.
It was built in honor of the marriage between king Pancapana of
the Sanjaya Dynasty and a Princess of the Cailendra Dynasty, named
Dyah Pramudya Wardhani. It is beautifully ornamented with finely
carved reliefs and coated with "vajralepa", a yellowish
material made from the sap of a certain tree. The vajralepa functioned
as an adhesive and as protection against moss and mildew, while
at the same time it refined the carvings. This temple is 24 m. high
and its base built in the form of a Greek Cross.
This Buddhist temple is located about 600 m. northeast of the Kalasan
temple on the north side of the main road between Yogyakarta and
Solo. It is a slender and beautiful temple consisting of two floors.
The upper floor was used to keep the religious relics. This temple
was formerly a Buddhist sanctuary (Vihara) where the Buddhist priests
used to live, meditate and teach their followers. The wall of the
temple was also protected with vajralepa.
The struggle for Independence Museum
This museum is located on Jalan Colonel Sugiyono. It is a cylindrical
building, uniquely roofed in the shape of a crown, with its outer
walls depicting in reliefs the history of the struggle for independence
before and after the Declaration of Independence on August 17, 1945.
The collection consists of historical articles during the time of
the revolution for independence.
Yogya Kembali Monument
At Yogyakarta's northern ringroad is the Monument Yogya Kembali
established to commemorate the refunctioning of Yogyakarta as the
capital of the Republic of Indonesia, July 6, 1949. The 31 meters
high monument symbolizing a mountain of heaven lies on an axis running
from the Sultan's Palace, to the north through the Tugu Yogya Kembali
monument to the Merapi mountain top.
The monument has three floors. The first floor holds a museum, a
library, an auditorium and cafetaria. On the second floor are 10
dioramas depicting the high lights of Yogyakarta's struggle to recapture
its capital from the occupation of the Dutch Armed Forces (December,
1948 -July, 1949).
On the balustrade are 40 reliefs depicting the history of the Indonesian
people's struggle for independence starting from the Proclamation
of the Independence of the Republic of Indonesia on August,19,1945
until the internationally recognition of the newborn Republic on
December 27, 1949.
This museum, founded in November 1935 and designed by the Dutch
architect Kersten, is built in traditional Javanese architecture.
It exhibits weapons, leather and wooden puppets of wayang theatre,
masks, statues, textiles, curios and old Javanese gamelan instruments.
The museum is situated on the northern side of the city's main square
in front of the Sultan's Palace. Open everyday except Mondays.
Kotagede, about five kilometres southeast of Yogyakarta, is a neat
little town which was once the seat of the mighty Mataram empire.
In this old placed town with its walled-in houses, the graves of
the first rulers of Mataram are still to be found. Since the 1930s,
however, Kotagede has become famous for being the centre of the
Yogya silverwork industry. Kotagede is easily reached by "among",
the four wheeled horse drawn cart, by taxi, bus, or car.
There are a number of workshops where visitors are welcome to watch
silver being transformed into beautiful works of art known as "Yogya
On the main road between the airport and the city stands the Affandi
Museum (1907 - 1990) in a lush garden next to his peculiar stilted
private home. He was Indonesia's foremost impressionist painter
who built a private museum for his own paintings and of those of
his daughter Kartika.
Affandi's grave (died in May 1990) lies in the back yard next to
Southwest of Yogyakarta lies the village of Kasongan, known for
its artistic pottery and earthenware. Guidance from contemporary
Indonesian artists has turned Kasongan earthenware into works of
art which can be bought inexpensively at art shops all over Java.
Batik Research Centre
Situated on the eastern outskirts of the city, it has an interesting
permanent exhibition of batiks in classic and modern designs The
process of batik can also be seen here, both the hand drawn and
Parang Tritis Beach
A seaside resort 27 kms south of Yogyakarta on the Indian Ocean
According to Javanese mythology, the Goddess of the South Sea, Nyai
Roro Kidul or Ratu Kidul, was married to Panembahan Senopati who
founded the Mataram Kingdom.Since that time, every year the sultans
of Yogyakarta have made special offerings to her in a beachside
ceremony called "Labuhan".
This resort on the slopes of Mt. Merapi, 24 km north of Yogyakarto
is surrounded by an enchanting countryside. The "Telogo Muncar"
waterfall and swimming pool make this resort a very pleasant recreation
place. Bungalows are available for rent.